November 26, 2007

Giving Thanks!

Where do I start? Thanksgiving holiday is family reunion time for my loved ones and our numbers just keep increasing every year. This year everyone was able to attend except Paige & Phil (expecting a baby in 3 weeks mol), Seth (visited his parents)and Daniel (had to work). GG'Daddy requested that we meet at the Fort D home this year and we did. At one time we had 32 people in the house and it was crowded to say the least.

Kyle & Todd accompanied me in the "wentel car" that I rented to accomodate all our luggage, car seats, heavy coats, etc. I got a lot of comments from the brothers-in- law about the "grandma car".....Mercury Marquis. It (the car) pretty much convinced me that I don't want one. Comfortable but not my style!

We arrived on Saturday afternoon, had a short visit with the GGs before bedtime. Attended church on Sunday and then went out to Aunt J's for the afternoon. Rode the Kubota back in the woods until dark. Kyle was fascinated with the deer tracks but we didn't find a deer. Got back to GG's, had dinner and a bath and Kyle told me "Pappi, I'm tired and want to go to bed".....what?!? That child has never told me he was ready for bed. Monday we went to Greenville with the GGs to Walmart and had lunch @ Cracker Barrel. Tuesday we went to Montgomery to see Aunt J @ her office. She was kind enough to take us to the flea market so that I could look for Fiestaware that I need. Wednesday we just hung out in Fort D as it was starting to get colder. Rode on the bug for a bit, pulled turnips, and picked up some pecans. Ashley & Kevin got to Fort D late in the afternoon.

Thursday was a busy day once the family started to arrive. Lunch was ready about 12:30 and there was such a feast. Everyone outdid themselves this year. BUT just about everything was gone by the time dinner was over that night. Callie's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year so we had a surprise party for her.I can't believe she is 11. The last of the family left about 9:30 and I went to bed and fell asleep immediately.

Friday we saw Ashley and Kevin off after lunch. They were meeting friends in Gainesville for the UF/FSU game. After naptime we took Callie and Gracie shopping in Montgomery to pick out some birthday duds. They found some cute stuff and we went over to the skating rink to watch the skaters and eat a snack before heading over to the zoo. We met the McCanns, TW & Ellen, Rick & Brooke 2, and the Busbys to take the train tour. What a great time we had. Kyle's favorite turned out to be the singing frogs. They were so cute, they jump up to the lily pads and sing Jingle Bells.

Saturday came all too quickly. We had to leave the GGs standing in the yard as we started our trip back to Florida. Stopped by Aunt J's on the way out of town to let the boys run around a few minutes. They were so good on the trip to Gainesville. Once we got to Gatorland we had dinner @ Steak & Shake and went to the hotel to have a bath and watch the remainder of the game.

We had breakfast on Sunday with Chris, Brent, Meagan & Chris, Steve and Casey and then I had to tell my little boys and their mom and dad goodbye. I miss those little guys after having them with me for a whole week. It's awfully quiet here in my "little house" and GG'mama says her house is just way too quiet.

I am thankful for my family and I hope we will always be as close as we are in 2007. I am thankful for my health and that of all my family. I am thankful that I have been blessed to still have my parents. I am thankful for my children and their children and that they allow me to share their lives in such a big way. God bless each and every one.

3 comments:

*pal said...

AWESOME post, mama! Between the pecans, pound cake and dressing, I feel like I was "there" (sort of...) I'm also glad that the little ones had such a good time. It's so special that they are close to you - as we are to the GGs - and they get the bonus of being close to the GGs, too! xxoo

Keysgal@QuietWater said...

It is special that Kyle, Todd and Ziggy will get to know the great grands, at least I hope they will have memories as they get older. I got the sweetest compliment from Aunt L after I got home. She said that I am the best grandmother she has ever been around and that it shows because my little boys love me so much. Made me cry.......I think of it as just having fun! May they all love me and want to be around me for a long time to come.

*pal said...

It's very true! Children spell "love" T-I-M-E. That is the most precious thing anyone can ever give a child. That you give Kyle and Todd so much of your time, attention and love is the reason Aunt Laura would see how much they adore you.